Prepare for Brexit

The United Kingdom (UK) is leaving the European Union (EU) meaning a number of changes will affect businesses, organisations and individual citizens.

Get ready for Brexit. Answer a few questions to find out how you or your business should prepare for Brexit.

Check what you need to do

EU citizens wishing to remain in the UK after Brexit

If you’re from the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you and your family will need to apply if you want to stay in the UK after 30 June 2021.

You can do this by applying to the EU Settlement Scheme. This is a free scheme which enables EEA and Swiss citizens resident in the UK, and their family members, to obtain the status they will require in order to live and work in the UK after 30 June 2021 (or after 31 December 2020 if there is a no deal exit).

Applicants only need to complete the following three key steps:

  1. prove their identity
  2. show that that they live in the UK
  3. declare any criminal convictions.

Find out more and how to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme

UK nationals living in the EU and wishing to remain in the EU

Continuing to live and work in an EU country after Brexit depends on the rules in that country. For example, you’ll need to:

  • register or apply for residency
  • check if you are covered for healthcare and register if necessary
  • exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live
  • check your passport.

Check your rights for the country you live in

UK citizens travelling to the EU

If you’re planning to travel to the EU after Brexit, you should review the government’s travel information.

Read more about visiting the EU after Brexit  

Consumer rights

Citizens' rights: EU citizens in the UK and UK nationals in the EU

Citizens' rights: UK and Irish nationals in the Common Travel Area

Hate crime

If you experience or witness any hate crime, please report the incidence to Surrey Police. 

Report hate crime to Surrey Police 

If you do not feel comfortable contacting the police, please report it via Stop Hate UK’s 24-hour hotline on 0800 138 1625, or you can download their app. If you wish to do so, you can report crimes anonymously.

Brexit advice for businesses

If you trade any goods or services with the EU you’ll need to get ready for Brexit. For example, you need to take action if you:

  • export goods to the EU
  • import goods from the EU
  • transport goods by road
  • export animals or animal products
  • export services to the EU.

Read the government's Brexit business advice

Alternatively, you can contact our business liaison team.

Phone: 01483 743 487

Woking Borough Council services

We do not expect Brexit to cause any significant disruption to our services. We are working closely with Surrey Local Resilience Forum which is coordinating with Surrey local authorities and partners to prepare the county for Brexit. If you have any concerns about the impact on our services, please call 01483 755 855.

Find out more about Surrey County Council and Brexit