Refunds and overpayments

Here are some examples of why we might refund some or all of your Council Tax bill.

  • You’re moving out of the area.
  • You’re no longer liable at your new address.
  • You’re entitled to a band reduction.
  • Exemptions or discounts have been granted that will reduce your bill.
  • You have already overpaid your Council Tax. 
  • You have been awarded a Council Tax Reduction.

Information you’ll need to apply for a refund

  • Your Council Tax account number – you can find this on your Council Tax bill in the top right-hand corner, underneath the council logo.
  • Your bank account details, including account number and sort code.
  • The amount you are requesting to be refunded.

Apply for a Council Tax refund online

If you feel you’re entitled to a Council Tax refund, please use our online form to tell us why.

Submit an online refund request