About Council Tax Support

Who can apply for Council Tax Support?

To apply for Council Tax Support you must be a person whose name is on the Council Tax bill. 

You may qualify if you are:

  • on Income Support, Jobseekers' Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit
  • on Pension Credit, Guaranteed Credit and in some cases Savings Credit
  • working and on low pay (including people who are self-employed)
  • on a low income, for example, you might only get a retirement pension or be getting social security benefits, like Incapacity Benefit.

The following file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email woking.website@woking.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Read more about our Council Tax Support scheme 2024 to 2025

Who cannot apply

If you’re of working age, you cannot apply for Council Tax Support if you and/or your partner have more than £10,000 in capital (money held in banks accounts, investments and properties held in your names).

For pensioners, the capital limit is £16,000.

The amount you will receive

This will depend on the household income and savings. 

If you're of working age, the maximum award is restricted to the level of a band D property. If you live in a Council Tax band E to H property, you will now receive support equivalent to a band D property.

Entitlements below £5 per week will not be paid.

How to apply

You must apply directly to us. You can only get Council Tax Support from the date we receive your application. 

Find out more about applying for Council Tax Support

How your application will be dealt with

If, after assessing your claim, we find you qualify for a reduction, you will receive a revised bill.

If you do not qualify for support, we will write to you to explain the reason why. 

You need to tell us straight away if you are receiving Council Tax Support and you have a change in circumstances.

Report a change to your circumstances

If your application is unsuccessful

If you do not agree with a decision we have made regarding your Council Tax Support application then you have the right to ask us to look at the decision again or appeal.

Read more about Council Tax Support appeals and revisions