Coronavirus information

The Civic Offices remain closed to the public. We're continuing to deliver services to the community. For council service updates, national guidance and how to contact us, click the link below.

Find out more

Skin piercing and tattoo licences

You need to be registered under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 if you carry out any of the following treatments:

  • acupuncture
  • electrolysis
  • ear piercing
  • tattooing.

Registration is required for both the person carrying out the treatment and the premises used.  You will need to re-apply if you move premises.

Fees and charges

There is a one-off registration fee to register as an operator and another fee to register the business premises.

See our full list of fees and charges for commercial licences and permits

Register an operator and/or premises

Download and complete the skin piercing operator registration form

Download and complete the skin piercing premises registration form

Public register

See a list of premises registered for skin piercing activities

Body piercing

At present, body piercing is not affected by this legislation. However, it is still subject to the general requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and other related legislation.