Discretionary housing payments

What are discretionary payments?

When we think you need extra help to meet your housing costs we are able to make discretionary payments on top of any Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction you may be entitled to. We have a limited amount of money put aside for this. 

Discretionary payments cannot be paid for overpayments, utility bills and ineligible charges (such as utility bills included as part of your rent including  satellite TV, water rates or heating bills).

Use our online forms to apply for limited short-term help with paying your rent or Council Tax. You must provide details of your income and spending.

Discretionary housing payment application form 
Apply for additional financial support if you’re struggling with your rent.

Council Tax support discretionary payment application form
Apply for additional financial support if you’re struggling with your Council Tax.

Are you eligible?

To claim a discretionary payment, you must be receiving some Housing Benefit or housing costs included in your Universal Credit award, or Council Tax support.

Here are just a few examples of where a discretionary payment may be considered:

  • You have picked up extra costs through no fault of your own.
  • Your choice of home was forced on you by an emergency.
  • Your circumstances are unusual or exceptional.

If you disagree with our decision, you cannot appeal to a tribunal, but you can ask for it to be looked at again by another officer.