The rateable value for a business property is assessed by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). You will need to contact the VOA if you have any queries about your rateable value or you wish to appeal because you think it is wrong. 

Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge.

Check and challenge your rateable value

Rating advisors

You may wish to get advice about your appeal from a specialist rating adviser. It is recommended that you only use those who are members of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV) because they are regulated by professional rules of conduct which are designed to protect the public from misconduct.

If you choose to use someone who is not a member of these professional bodies, you should check that he or she has the appropriate knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance.  

Be cautious that they do not make false or misleading claims. There have been cases, for example, where agents do not explain that a reduction on rateable value may not necessarily lead to a reduction in the amount you pay. This is because there are overriding limits on how much a rates bill can change from year to year under the transitional relief scheme. 

Please note when making an appeal you continue to pay your business rates while you are waiting for a decision. Withholding payments could be penalised.