Set out below are the financial allowances available to Woking Borough Councillors.
On 24 August 2022 the Chief Executive, under delegated authority and in consultation with an Independent Remuneration Panel, amended Woking Borough Council’s scheme for members' allowances, all in accordance with the Local Authorities (Members' Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003.
The Chief Executive, under delegated authority, determined that the basic allowance for the 2022 to 2023 municipal year be increased to £7,380. An increase of 2.5% in line with the agreed pay award to staff.
The Chief Executive, under delegated authority, determined that special responsibility allowances remain prorated to the Leader special responsibility allowance (currently set at £12,000) for the 2022 to 2023 municipal year.
Special responsibility allowances for 2022 to 2023 are allocated as follows:
- Leader of the Council: £12,000
- Deputy Leader of the Council: £3,600 (30% of the Leader SRA)
- Leader of the Opposition: £1,200 (10% of the Leader SRA)
- Other Executive Members: £2,400 (20% of the Leader SRA)
- Planning Committee Chairman: £2,400 (20% of the Leader SRA)
- Overview and Scrutiny Committee Chairman: £1,200 (10% of the Leader SRA)
- Licensing Committee Chairman: £600 (5% of the Leader SRA)
- Group Leader: £600 (5% of the Leader SRA)
In addition to the basic and special responsibility allowances, members are eligible for additional payments whilst on council business, covering:
- Loss allowance: remuneration for loss of earnings
- Travelling and subsistence: remuneration for travel and meals.
- Dependants' carers' allowance: remuneration for childcare or dependents
- ICT services: remuneration for personal computing facilities
- Co-optees: remuneration for persons who are not members of the authority but are members of a committee or sub-committee of the authority
The members’ allowances scheme document provides full details of Woking Borough Council’s members’ allowances.
The following files may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Independent Remuneration Panel
Local authorities are required by The Local Authorities (Members' Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003 to establish and maintain an Independent Remuneration Panel to make recommendations on the level of basic and special responsibility allowances and associated matters that are paid to councillors.
Contact our members’ services team for more information.
Phone: 01483 755 855