Industrial pollution control

There are certain industrial processes which have the potential to cause significant air pollution and harm to the environment. 

Such businesses have to apply for a permit to be able to operate under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016. Depending on the type of industrial process and its potential to cause pollution, the permits are issued and controlled by the pollution regulator which will be Environment Agency or us, the local authority. 

Permits are issued with conditions which: 

  • regulate the management of the site
  •  limit emissions
  • include any other process controls which the site operator must comply with. 

When an application for a permit is received, we will arrange a time to conduct a site inspection to determine whether a permit can be issued. If a permit is required, we will then identify what conditions need to be added to the permit. 

Annual inspections and fees

Once a permit is issued, we will carry out inspections on a programmed basis to make sure conditions are maintained. The permit holder will also need to pay an annual subsistence fee.

The fees and charges are set by the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

View the current fees and charges 


Failure to comply with the permit conditions, or operating a process without an appropriate permit is an offence which can result in large fines. 

Permits register

We have a duty to maintain a public register of all valid permits issued. 

View our pollution control public register

Who needs to apply

Business operations which require a pollution control permits are: 

  • car resprayers
  • cement batching plants
  • petrol stations
  • crematoria
  • dry cleaners
  • other users of large quantities of solvents. 

How to apply

If you operate an industrial process that falls under Schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016 you will need to apply for an environmental permit.

There are three types of permits:

  • Part A1 permits. These are regulated by the Environment Agency and cover industries that are considered to be the most polluting, such as large scale power stations, chemical works and pharmaceutical production. A1 premises are regulated for emissions to air, land, water and other environmental considerations such as noise, vibrations, waste and energy usage.
  • Part A2 permits. This category is regulated by us (Woking Borough Council) and is seen as a medium risk to the environment and human health. If you operate a galvanizer for example, you may be regulated as an A2 premises. A2 premises are also regulated for emissions to air, land, water and other environmental considerations.
  • Part B permits. These industries are regulated by us (Woking Borough Council) and are considered to be less polluting. Industries such as cement batching plants, coating material manufacture, animal feed manufacture and vehicle refinishers will fall into this category, and they are only regulated for emissions to air.

View permit application forms

Please note that any permits granted are only issued under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016. You must still check whether you need any other permissions or licences required by other legislation such as Planning Permission, Hazardous Substances Consent, or Building Regulations approval.

More information

Read the government’s local authority pollution control: general guidance manual
Read the government’s environmental permitting guidance: part A(1) installations and part A(1) mobile plant