A personal licence permits a specified person to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premises that has a valid premises licence.
How to apply
You will need to submit the following documents and items to the licensing team:
- A complete application form.
- A complete convictions disclosure form.
- Two identical passport photos, which must be accompanies by a statement verifying the likeness of yourself to the photograph. The statement can be provided by a solicitor, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.
- The accredited licensing qualification certificate.
- A Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate (DBS).
- Evidence of your right to work in the UK. For most people this would be a photocopy of your UK passport. However, if you do not have a passport, there is a selection of other documents that will be accepted.
- Payment of the personal licence fee, which is £37.
Applications are normally processed within 21 days from receipt of a completed application, including payment.
Objections against your application
Once we are in receipt of your application, the police have 14 days to object on the grounds of the prevention of crime and disorder.
A hearing of the Licensing Committee, which consists of 10 elected local authority members, must then be held within 20 days unless all parties agree that a formal hearing is unnecessary.
Appeal against our decision
You can appeal to the Magistrates´ Court against our decision to refuse a licence, within 21 days of being notified of the decision and the grounds for it.
Following a change in the law, renewals of licences are no longer necessary. Personal licences remain valid unless surrendered, suspended, revoked or declared forfeit by the courts.
Report a change of circumstances
You must let our licensing team know of any change in circumstances. This includes:
- a change of name and/or address
- any conviction for a relevant or foreign offence
- if you wish to surrender a licence
- if you require a duplicate copy of a licence following loss or theft.
Phone: 01483 755 855