Coronavirus information

The Civic Offices remain closed to the public. We're continuing to deliver services to the community. For council service updates, national guidance and how to contact us, click the link below.

Find out more

Motor salvage operator licence

Motor salvage operators now need to hold a scrap metal dealers’ licence. There is no longer a separate registration scheme. 

You are seen as a scrap metal dealer if you involved in:

  • recovering salvageable parts from motor vehicles for re-use or sale and subsequently selling or otherwise disposing of the rest of the vehicle for scrap.
  • buying written-off vehicles and subsequently repairing and reselling them.

Apply for a scrap metal dealer licence