Before starting any building works you might need to get either planning permission or building regulations approval, or both.
Going ahead without them could mean you having to pay to put things back to how they were or to fix issues to make them right.
Building regulations approval
You need building regulations approval to check the work you're doing is structurally safe, provides proper access and facilities, and meets certain energy efficiency standards.
You probably need building regulations approval for:
- a new building
- an extension
- a loft or garage conversion
- alterations to the structure of the building
- home improvements like a new boiler, radiators, bathroom, fuse box, electric, windows, doors, and roofing.
Find out if you need building regulations approval
You should get approval before you start work otherwise you may have to fix any issues we find at your own expense.
Further information on building regulations approval
You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to:
- build something new
- make a major change, like building an extension
- change the use of your building.
You should check first if you need planning permission.