Bring photo ID to vote on Thursday 2 May 2019

All Woking Borough electors will be asked to present photo ID from an approved list before they can vote at the polling station at this year's local elections.

Find out more

Tree management

Tree ownership

We do not keep records of land in private ownership. To find out who owns a particular tree, you will need to carry out a Land Registry Search for a small fee. This will tell you who the land is registered to if there is a registered owner.

Council owned trees

We employ a team of professional tree specialists, known as arboriculturalists, to carry out inspections and coordinate work on trees owned by us.  This work is carried out with our environmental partner, Serco, which is responsible for the maintenance of our green spaces.

Our priority is to protect the public and keep trees in a healthy and safe condition. We are also responsible for ensuring trees are managed within the law and do not cause a problem for others.  

•    Report a problem with a council owned tree to Serco, phone 01483 775422.

Privately owned trees

Trees on private land are the land-owner's responsibility. The owner has a duty of care to manage their trees so that other people do not suffer any unreasonable harm or loss.

Read the Arboricultural Association’s pruning advice guide

If the landowner is required to make a dangerous tree safe, but fails to carry out the necessary work, we may arrange for the work to be undertaken and recover reasonable costs.

If your tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO), our tree officers are happy to provide free and impartial advice. However, we cannot undertake a health and safety assessment of your tree. This type of work must be carried out by a qualified and experienced arboricultural consultant.

If you own a protected tree, please arrange an appointment with our tree officers. 

Phone: 01483 755 855

Find a tree consultant approved by  the Arboricultural Association.

Trees and the law

More information on the legal issues relating to trees, including your neighbour common law rights and how trees are protected by the planning system, is available from Arboricultural Association.

Read the Arboricultural Association’s guide to trees and the law