Diwali is a celebration of new beginnings, of good versus evil and the triumph of light over dark.
Traditionally, Woking town centre is lit up with a parade of brightly coloured, handcrafted lanterns and the stirring sound of drums but this year we're asking residents to celebrate safely at home again to limit the spread of Covid-19.
Celebrating Diwali 2021 at home:
- Take a test before meeting up with loved ones.
- Let fresh air in if you invite friends and family round to celebrate with you.
- Meeting outdoors is safer but be mindful of other people and pets when enjoying private fireworks displays. RoSPA firework safety advice.
- Wear a face covering in crowded and enclosed settings where you come into contact with people you do not normally meet.
- Wash or sanitise hands regularly throughout the festivities.
- Download and use the NHS COVID-19 app.
- Self-isolate if required and stay at home if you are feeling unwell.
However you choose to celebrate, please continue to follow government guidance for limiting the spread of infection.
Have a happy and safe Diwali.