Local people have until Friday 25 January 2019 to submit their nominations for this year’s Young People’s Civic Awards Scheme, which aims to promote and reward community spirit in young people.
The scheme, run by Woking Borough Council, recognises children and young people who have achieved exceptional success, in areas that are not normally acknowledged by formal accreditation.
Nominees are being sought in the following three categories:
- Outstanding Contribution to the Community – includes work in areas such as helping older or disabled people, working with children, fundraising for good causes and getting involved with voluntary organisations.
- Triumph Over Adversity – includes endurance and bravery, such as overcoming disability or helping a parent or family member with a disability.
- Outstanding Achievement – covers excellence in many fields – sport, music, drama, the visual arts – particularly in less academic subjects that are not normally recognised or rewarded in other ways.
Speaking about the initiative, Mayor of Woking, Cllr Will Forster, said: “The Young People’s Civic Award Scheme is a fantastic way to acknowledge the remarkable hard work and dedication shown by young people within our community.
“It gives us a special way to celebrate their achievements and demonstrate our pride in them. I would therefore encourage parents, teachers, friends, carers and guardians to nominate a deserving young person today.”
The 2018 award winners were:
- Outstanding Contribution to the Community - Harriet Pringle
- Triumph Over Adversity - Leon Hunter
- Outstanding Achievement - Francesca Lane.
The scheme is open to all children and young people, up to the age of 18, who live or attend school or college in the Borough. All nominations are judged by a panel, which typically includes representatives from the Local Education Authority, Surrey Police, the voluntary sector, Sport Woking, Woking Borough Council and Woking Youth Council.
All young people nominated for an award will receive a certificate acknowledging their achievement. The winners will be invited to attend the Mayor’s Civic Reception to be held on Friday 26 April 2019.
The deadline for nominations is Friday 25 January 2019.
Application forms, along with more information about the scheme, are available by visiting www.woking.gov.uk/youngcivicawardscheme . Alternatively, please call Julie Northcote, Democratic Services Officer, on 01483 743053 or email email@example.com