Temporary road closures

A temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO) must be made to allow road closures to take place. This includes temporary changes such as instigating or suspending a one-way system. Within Woking's town centre boundaries, issuing TTRO's is our responsibility.

Applicant's responsibilities:

  • To provide appropriate signage erected by Department for Transport approved personnel.
  • To provide approved advanced warning signage three weeks ahead of the TTRO.
  • To consider if any temporary bus suspensions are required.
  • To inform and/or consult with all people and groups affected by the closure.

A road can be closed for up to 18 months. A public right of way/public footpath/cycle track or byways open to all traffic (BOAT) may be closed of up to a maximum of six months. (This may be extended on application to the Secretary of State but would require exceptional reasons.) There must be a gap of three months between consecutive closures on the same length of road.

Find out more about TTROs

How to apply

Apply for a TTRO

Applications must be submitted at least eight weeks before the TTRO is required.  This is to allow time for the order to be advertised, checked and processed.

Documents required

A detailed map of the proposed diversion route and a plan of the site must be submitted with your application. It must include all signage designs with the exact wording and locations at which they will be sited. In addition, a written description of the diversion route is required.

Proof of public liability insurance is required with a minimum cover of £5 million against third party risks. 

Fees and charges

There is a flat rate for a TTRO which covers the preparation of statutory orders and notices. In addition, the applicant must pay for the costs of the necessary two newspaper advertisements. 

See our full list of fees and charges for street licences


Email: town.centre@woking.gov.uk
Phone: 01483 755 855