Bus lane penalty charge notices (PCNs)

The junction of Broadway and Chertsey Road, leading into High Street, in Woking town centre is only accessible by buses, bicycles and certain authorised vehicles.

This stretch of the highway, known as a 'bus gate', is monitored by an automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) camera and it is triggered when an unauthorised vehicle accesses the road. The ANPR camera records the necessary details, such as vehicle make, model and registration, to generate a penalty charge notice (fine).

Only local buses, authorised vehicles, and pedal cycles are permitted to drive through this area (known as a 'bus gate') during the hours of 7am to 9pm at any day. When approaching this stretch of highway, roadside signage is displayed to warn drivers and riders of the forthcoming enforcement area, restricted access times and charge. 

About penalty charge notices (PCNs) and how to pay

Vehicles that are driven illegally through the bus gate will receive a penalty charge notice (PCN) through the post, addressed to the registered keeper of the vehicle. It will contain details of the alleged contravention, details of the vehicle and photographs highlighting the contravention.

A PCN is £70 for each contravention. This must be paid within 28 days from the notice issue date. A £35 discount will be applied if payment is received within 21 days of the notice issue date.

From 1 April 2023, Surrey County Council took over the responsibility for managing on-street parking and the enforcement of parking regulations across Woking Borough and all other local Surrey local authorities. This includes bus lanes and processing penalty charge notices if you have been issued with a PCN for using a bus lane.

Read more information about the how to pay a bus lane PCN

How to apply for access rights to the High Street 

If you are a property tenant located along this road and have dedicated parking facilities, or you make regular deliveries to a property directly within the High Street, you will need to obtain an access permit from Surrey County Council.

Contact Surrey County Council about obtaining a High Street access permit